The Serum Institute of India Private Limited is currently the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer and is calculated to have sold more than 1.5 billion doses of vaccine globally which include the vaccines for diphtheria, Tetanus, BCG, Polio, Rubella and many more. It is said that more than 65% of the whole children population in the world receives at least one vaccine that is manufactured by this institute the vaccines manufactured by the Serum Institute of India are accredited by the World health organization and are used in over 170 countries around the whole world in their national immunization programs. This institute uses cutting edge genetic and cell-based technologies, antisera and other state-of-the-art medical equipment. Here are some of the facts about the serum institute of India;
- The institute was founded by Dr Cyrus Poona Walla in 1966 in an effort to manufacture life-saving immuno-biologicals which weren’t manufactured in the country then and had to be imported with high prices.
- The serum institute of India made its first international acquisition when it acquired Biltthoven biologicals which are a pharmaceutical company in the Netherlands on 29th June 2012. This ensured that the institute can make injectable polio vaccine with the help of technology and expertise that was available only three other vaccine manufacturers at the time.
- The Serum Institute of India has established in the most modern laboratories and high tech machinery and has computerized its equipment for the production and testing of the life-saving biologicals that are researched in the institute.
- The installation of the robotic arm for handling viruses, cell factory and cell cube for growing cells and the facilities for the manufacture of polysaccharide and recombinant vaccines and monoclonal antibodies are some of the milestones that the serum institute of India has achieved.
- The Serum Institute of India’s tunnel systems and high-speed vial washing is capable of working at a speed of five hundred containers per minute and have been installed with technical accuracy to the third digit of the decimal point which makes it extremely accurate and consistent.
- Particulate matter that cannot be seen to the normal human eye can be screened through the latest technology screeners that are acquired by the serum institute of India which is configured with high-resolution CCD cameras and electronic control panel.
- The Serum Institute of India possesses the flexibility to produce vaccines in more than one planet which facilitates the production of a huge number of vaccines in a short time frame and this is what makes the institute extremely responsive to any major emergency.
- The facility inside the Serum Institute is built in compliance with the highest standards. the latest achievement of the institute is that it got the US FDA approval for its plant which confirms that the highest levels of the standard is meant by the institute and is maintained over all the organization.
- The institute has dedicated a plant to producing several liquids and lyophilized pharmaceutical injections to be supplied to the highly regulated markets of the entire world that is USA and Europe.